Tuesday, January 28, 2014

January 28, 2014
 
Hi daddy!

Yes, we drove back and forth 2 times last week to the Capital. it took about 4 hours, each way. It was fun. We got to know our new companions well and the new people in our zone, so it was worth it. So we had about 3 P-days last week, but we still had a lot of lessons this week, so it was good and it all worked out.

Afton is going to be a fantastic missionary. I hope she has success in her mission. She´ll do amazing things in Michigan.

It´s true - the sisters can help people in ways that the elders can´t. we´ve had three people basically pour out all of their worries to us in the past two days. Not in long 3 hour meetings with them. Just in twenty minutes each time. And we were able to help them. two of them, their son is on diverse paths and the other person, her family is being attacked by Satan in different ways. And we were able to help. During those lessons, I felt the Spirit so strongly and felt it guiding or words and what scriptures to share with them. Both types of missionaries are excellent in different ways and both have their strengths and weakenesses. I love missionary work and it is so important that we share this message with as many people as we can with the time that we have.

This past week in reading the Book of Mormon, I have been really impressed by Alma and Mosiah and their sons (that´s where we´ve been reading as a mission this week). Alma the older was a sinner that repented. Mosiah was the son of King Benjamin. both of these men were righteous men. They had sons that were the "vilest of sinners" that were trying to destroy the church of God. And then, they repented. They completely turned everything around in their lives and Alma the younger (or "Alma, hijo", in Spanish) was the High Priest and Chief Judge. And the sons of Mosiah couldn´t stand that there were people that hadn´t heard the Gospel (Mosiah 28:3). Alma the older taught about faith in Jesus Christ and repentance.
 
 All things he taught stemmed from those two things. All of the Book of Mormon testifies of Jesus Christ and the repentance process. I love that. I wish that I had studied more diligently from the scriptures before my mission instead of just reading them. there are SO MANY things in the Book of Mormon that are important for us to know (1 Nephi 6:4-6).

And we´re having a BAPTISM this weekend! We´ve been working with her since the end of december and she´s getting baptized this weekend with her husband´s younger brother. And her husband is going to baptize her. It´s going to be excellent.

And Spanish is coming along. there are words now that I can only think of in Spanish. Like "cumplir los mandamientos" takes a lot of brainpower to translate into "keep the commandments". Anyway, poco a poco, as always.

I love you, dad! I hope that everything is going well and thanks for the picture! And I´m also glad that the Temple is reopening this week. There are blessings there, too, that people are waiting for. On this side of the veil and on the other side, as well.

I love you!

Con MUCHO amor,

Hermana Pumpkin Conover


January 28, 2014

Hi momma!

Favorite scripture (or, my mission scripture) is Alma 26:12. I love that scripture. And if it can be Hermana, that´d be great.  That´ll be good. [Michelle is responding to her mom's questions about what she wants on her missionary plaque at the church.]  The three of us [Afton Jensen, Eleni Lui and Michelle grew up together] are hundreds of miles apart, but we´re still together. [on missions]

I´m excited for Afton. She´ll be a fantastic missionary.

The trip sounds fantastic and relaxing. I´m glad that you and dad got to do that. And it´s true that yes, the Temples are grand and big, but the ordinances that are done inside are priceless. And the picture that dad took of you isn´t cheesy (he sent it to me). you look like you´re doing well, and that makes me happy.

SueMac is 60? [a wonderful, dear  family friend]  She does not look 60. And you can tell her I said that. And tell her a happy belated birthday, as well.

This week was crazy. we basically had 3 p-days and not a lot of time to work, but hermana Euceda is a hard worker and obedient and diligent and I love working with her. We´ve been having more lessons in half days than we sometimes would have in a full day. Anyway, WE´RE GOING TO HAVE A BAPTISM THIS WEEKEND!!! we had to get special permission from president Brough for her to be baptized (it will have only been 8 days since she drank coffee and tea, it´s usually ten), but she´s getting baptized! We´re excited for her and she´s going to be a really good member of the church. she wants to teach in the church (like Relief Society teacher) and she´ll be a great member.

We finished Mosiah this morning and what has impressed me in the last few chapters of the Book of Mormon is that it says Alma (the older) taught nothing save it was about faith in Jesus Christ and repentance. And the last few chapters have been about faith in Jesus Christ and repentance. the conversion process of Alma the younger (or, in Spanish, Alma, hijo), the fact that the sons of Mosiah had been the "vilest of sinners" and went to teach the Lamanites, and faith in Jesus Christ. It shows that even if we mess up, if we commit errors or sins in our lives, we can repent and be forgiven. Like if says in Doctrine and Covenants, if we truly repent, "I, the Lord, remember them (the sins) no more". 
 
I love the Book of Mormon. I wish that I had read more intently before my mission, but I love reading the words of the prophets about Christ. EVERYTHING in the Book of Mormon points to Christ and if people say that it´s about Joseph Smith or is not doctrine of Christ, then they haven´t read it and are only listening to their preacher talk about the Church and haven´t asked Heavenly Father, in prayer, about the veracidad (truthfulness) of this message.

Well, on the Spanish side, there are now words that make more sense to me in English than in Spanish.[She means they make more sense in SPANISH than in English.} 
For example, for the life of me, I can only think of "estamos cumpliendo los mandamientos" and it takes A LOT of brain power to think of "we´re keeping the commandments". there are a few others, too, but that one if the most recent and prevalent. But, that´s O.K., I can relearn English when I get home. :)

I love you, mom! I hope you´re doing well and I hope you´re activity goes well (or, the planning for it).

Con MUCHO amor,

Hermana Bugaboo Conover

No comments:

Post a Comment