Tuesday, March 11, 2014

March 11, 2014

Hi daddy!

Our baptism was fantastic. President and Hermana Brough were here and President Brough spoke as well, during the baptism. And the husband of our investigator baptized his wife. I thought he was going to cry with happiness. He was SO happy. And the Spirit was definitely there. And we had an investigator come to the baptism. And the "linger longer" (I think that´s what it´s called in English). And another activity of the first branch. And he came to church. And he´s going to institute. He´s going to be baptized, pretty much. We challenged him for the 23rd of March and he accepted it. So we´re going to teach him like crazy to prepare him to be baptized. We have baptisms in the church - there´s a font there. I don´t think that people have been baptized in the lake for a while.

Yes, I am happy in Sololá. My companion is amazing and so sweet. Satan has tried almost everything to drive us apart (investigators, members, etc.), but he can´t get us down. 

The language in Sololá is a difficulty that we have - if we know we´re going to have a lesson in Kaqchikel, we bring a member with us that can speak the dialect. When we contact, we talk slower and usually just invite them to church. The dialect here isn´t pure, so there are Spanish words (like church, the name of the church, and other words as well), but we adapt when we need to. And my Spanish is a lot better - a lot of people think that I have at least a year in the mission because of my Spanish. Not so, but thanks members. It helps with my confidence in my Spanish. :) There are few occasions now where I don´t know what´s going on or need someone to repeat something.
We don´t do Daylight Savings here. Same time, same pace.

This week I have realized how much we need to work with the members. It shouldn´t be the only form of finding people to teach, But I know that when we work with the members, we´re going to see miracles. I love Chapter 9 of Preach My Gospel and how to find people to teach. If we don´t have people to teach, we don´t teach. 

This week we´re reading in 3 Nephi, when Christ is here in the Americas. I love these chapters. The doctrine is simple, clear, and direct. We leave 3 Nephi 11 a lot with people we teach because it teaches baptism clearly and 3 Nephi 27, as well. I love the Book of Mormon and I don´t know why I didn´t read it more sooner.

I love you, dad! Thank you for your missionary work with your family - I love hearing about missionary experiences that are from the members and not just the missionaries.
I love you! I pray for you and our family! love you lots!

Con MUCHO amor,

Hermana Pumpkin Conover




March 11, 2014

Hi momma!

I love you!

That´s funny that Hermana Euceda looks like Shinehah. 

[This paragraph is exactly the same as the baptism paragraph in Michelle's dad's letter--see above]

[Michelle's next comment is about how to "start" to study the Book of Mormon as one is reading it.]  
And that´s a good idea, just one reference a day. I know that with converts and less active members, it´s hard to get the habit down. And I know, because I had a hard time before my mission, as well. So, I think that´d be good for people beginning to read everyday.

I like "That Easter Morn" in the Hymn Book. It´s not in Spanish... I looked and was a little sad, but that´s a good, easy one to do. Especially your arrangement of it. :) 
[Mom asked Michelle about Easter music that she liked.]

Well, it rained pretty hard here in Sololá twice this week. Luckily, we were in a house when it hit. Houses with lamina for roofs are LOUD when there´s a lot of rain. And thunder. But, that´s ok. 

Is there a family Manu in our Tongan Branch? There´s an Hermana Kalifi in my zone and she´s from So-Cal. She has family in the Bay Area, so I just thought I´d ask.

We worked a lot with the members this week and I have a testimony of missionary work with the members. The two sisters we´ve baptized here in Sololá were references from the members. The people who are progressing are references and the members go with us to visit them. When missionaries and members work together, there is more success. And not just "baptisms", but retention, as well, when the converts are faithful and go to church and keep the commandments and progress. There´s a quote in Preach My Gospel that says as much. I love Chapter 9 - How to find people to teach. I think it was Elder Ballard who said, "We can´t do anything until we find people to teach". It´s true. We just had a zone training where we talked about working with the members and for asking for references in other ways from the members. I love this work and I am so grateful that I am here in Guatemala.

I love you, mom! I´m glad to hear that you are doing well and that our family is, as well!

I pray for you and our family and love you!

Con MUCHO amor,

Hermana Pumpkin Conover

No comments:

Post a Comment